Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Travel Snob

Meh.


I just received the generous offer to return to Nicaragua... and I said no. Now, that might sound insane, seeing as it would be an adventure to an amazing country, but I'm kind of a snob. I don't know what it is about new places that draws me in the way it does, but once I've been to a place, it's hard for me to go back. The only way I would return, as in the case of Cabo, is if I'm living there. The stupid part is, it's all about sound bites. It's one thing to say, "I've been to Nicaragua", or "I lived in Mexico for 2 years" but beyond that, my interest wanes. I want to go somewhere new. I want to find that new experience, the new place that I'm going to fall in love with.
I don't know what makes some people fall ill with the travel bug, but I have it bad. The idea of buying a house both terrifies and titillates me. On the one hand, I can't imagine anchoring myself to one place. Even leases longer than 3 months make me itch. On the other hand, the idea of making a life for myself sounds so cozy.
It's the same with dogs. I would love a gigantic dog; just a monster of a beast. But how to I justify putting my great dane/ rottweiler mix in the cargo pit of a plane? Someday, I'm going to have to decide if I will settle down or stay nomadic, but for now, I would rather try to negotiate a new vacation location in the least snobby way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment