Friday, December 3, 2010

We need to talk...

I'm finding how hard it is to choose a location for "a talk". I'm guessing the talk will be about repairing an irreparable relationship. The perfect spot would be in public (to avoid scenes, but in the land of squabbling couples, you never know), it would have food or drinks to fiddle with to avoid eye contact when needed, and it would have an easy escape route.
I'm not quite sure how The Talk was planned, but now there's no avoiding it. I believe I asked a series of difficult questions like, 'are you seeing other people', and 'do you plan to continue seeing other people'. The only answer I got was, 'puedemos hablar de eso en person'. I translated that one loud and clear- We need to talk.
Chicago's sociology of sexuality, albeit a bit wacky, divulged into my generation's dating habits, and apparently The Talk is very common. Hooking up first, then hooking up again, perhaps an actual date, then the talk, then a relationship. It's almost completely backwards from earlier conceptions of dating. So why am I dreading it so much? Maybe it has to do with my complete disillusion with the dating culture in Mexico. I just don't believe a word that comes out of the mens' mouths. My aunt assures me that they really do mean that they love me to pieces and that I am the stars and the moon to them, but that doesn't mean I'm the only one. Hmm. The thing is, as my first sociology professor taught me, relationships don't have to look like the cookie cutter chick flick version of love. I'm very interested in polyamory. But as any poly will tell you, honesty is crucial. Which is why, with much grumbling, I'm walking into this Talk with all 3 verbs that I know in Spanish, prepared to lay it all on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment