Thursday, January 26, 2012

I don't want to go up, I'm a Mexico kid.

Tomorrow afternoon, at 12:45, I will walk into a real office and sign a contract for a real job. 40 hour work weeks, salary and commission, 2 weeks vacation, and the Iron Cage. A very large part of me is terrified. My inner slacker/traveler/nomad is screaming, 'Stop, don't do it, don't sign your life away!'. But should I listen to any of those people? My inner business woman/grown up/realist is saying, 'Yes! Finally a real job, with health insurance!'
I feel like the real me is somewhere in the middle of these two personas. I would like to be a traveling realist. A hippie business woman. With the company I'm signing with, I think that might be possible. The big seller is that my daily schedule is flexible. The office is available from 6 am- 9 pm, and I just have to be there for 8 hours somewhere in between (with an hour lunch. It's no 2 hour siesta, but it will do). So technically I could work 6-2 every day and have every afternoon free. That calms my inner park dweller.

Another big "pro" on the list is the possibility of a dog. I've wanted a dog of my own for my entire life. I've raised dogs for 4 other roommates, and had to leave them behind. I knew I needed some stable income before I could commit, and this will provide just that. (dream dog pictured below)


So I made up my mind- I'm going to take the job. I will try the real world. You might find me here in a few months with my tail between my legs, running away (again) to Mexico, but I'm going to give it my all. Wish me luck out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment