Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Harvest Moon


There was a great big harvest moon out tonight. As I was driving home I saw it, and it struck me. It was so sharp, so crisp, and then it ducked behind the trees.

As I drove, it kept being interrupted by trees, or buildings, or even neon signs that overpowered it and completely destroyed its beauty. It would always reappear though, even if just for an instant. Eventually, it rose above these distractions, and I could see it for the elegant force that it was.

It came to me then- I am that moon. Maybe it is a tired and cliche metaphor, but I'm at a point in my life, that I keep getting covered up. I am shadowed or allow myself to be overtaken by boys, or jobs that I don't want, or paths that aren't really me, all the while believing that I am back there, somewhere- waiting to be seen.

I know I will persevere. I heard once that harvest moons seem so large due to the points of reference near the ground. The trees make it seem bigger, they shape it. Right now I'm being shaped by the distractions, but it was so clear, and such a relief, to know that soon enough, I will rise above and be what I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment